2012 3rd Annual Architecture at Risk List
Purpose
PDF Print E-mail
Publishing an Architecture at Risk list is a way to bring public attention to the potential loss of historic, architecturally significant or iconic buildings and places. We are encouraged to look around carefully and think beyond the obvious to identify the potential loss of special places. Many times we focus on the large historic buildings, but smaller, often-overlooked places, are equally important to Oak Cliff.

After the League's experiences with DISD and Oak Cliff Christian, many in the community asked us what we could do to be more pro-active with possible demolition of other local landmarks, this list is an attempt to do that.  We credit and thank Preservation Dallas and Katherine Seale for allowing us to borrow their idea from Preservation Dallas' List of Endangered Historic Places.




 
1. Humble Service Station
PDF Print E-mail

1. HUMBLE OIL SERVICE STATION - ZANG AND BECKLEY - 1929

UPDATE 5/30/12 - A meeting has been scheduled in the next week with Councilmember Jasso, the developer and the Lake Cliff Neighborhood Association.  The developer says the space is too small for his needs and must be demolished.  He will work with the neighborhood to create something similar in style.  Ironically, he will also seek "Gateway" zoning decreasing setbacks from the street.  Granting him these changes allows a greater footprint and in effect a larger structure, making demolition more likely and profitable.  A 15 foot setback is currently required on Beckley and Zang.  Preservation should be part of any deal on set back variances.

If you would like a different outcome like for instance that the developer use the existing historic facade along with new constrcution - EXPRESS YOURSELF!  Write your councilperson today.

Delia Jasso District 1
Scott Griggs District 3 



alt
Humble Oil Service Station - Zang and Beckley


Humble Oil was founded in Texas in 1911. Their stations were once found throughout the state. They later merged with Standard Oil and were re-branded as Exxon in 1972. It took the Humble Oil Company almost 6 months to gain permission to build their art deco service station at the corner of Zang and Beckley.


alt
Humble Oil Ad - 1930

 
3. Cannon's Village
PDF Print E-mail
 

In July of 1922, Dallas real estate mogul C.S. Mitchell filed an appeal in Federal Court to develop a shopping center on a double lot at the southeast corner of Davis and Edgefield in the Winnetka Heights residential district. Businesses weren’t allowed in residential districts and Mitchell’s plans had been denied by the city. The case was largely seen as a test case for Dallas’s building ordinance that restricted the establishment of business buildings in residential districts. He would have to exhaust the appeals process and it would take until November of that year for the matter to be settled.

Afterwards, Mr. Mitchell declared that he intended “to erect one of the most handsome business buildings in the city” that “will beautify, rather than detract from, the surrounding neighborhood.” To this end, the structure sought to incorporate English Tudor architecture, a slate roof, shrubbery and grass, set backs allowing for cars and “with the exception of one small sign at the corner of the building, the structure will be free of signs or exploitation matter, it is declared.” These things were to help the building blend in with the neighborhood rather than stand out and settle the feathers that had been ruffled with the long drawn out court case.
 
5. 1901 Ramsey
PDF Print E-mail


This commercial structure, built circa 1920, is surrounded by residences and located near the old Dallas Streetcar Line 46, which cut diagonally through the Trinity Heights. Trinity Heights was a subdivision, annexed by the City of Dallas in the 1920’s, with it’s own school system, post office and water facilities.



Henry Braley purchased the Ramsey property in 1918, and it is believed that the building was constructed soon after, based on the 1922 Sanborn Maps. Braley was one of the founders of the Texas Kennel Club in 1898, and he and his wife were active with breeding and showing dogs while living at the Ramsey address.
 
2. Mission Motel
PDF Print E-mail
 

Built prior to 1944, The Mission Motel is one of many motor-court motels aimed to accommodate travelers along the former turnpike between Dallas and Fort Worth. Historically, this type of architecture appeared after World War II along major roadways, and became known as roadside architecture.

Preservation Dallas included The Mission Motel, along with Alamo Plaza Courts Motel and The Ranch Motel on the 2007 List of Dallas’ Endangered Historic Places, stating that roadside architecture is “presently underappreciated” and these three motor-court motels were in imminent danger of demolition. This statement held true through the demolition of Alamo Plaza.
 
4. Sharrock Cabin
PDF Print E-mail

Sharrock Family Cabin

Few Oak Cliff residents are aware that in Southwest Oak Cliff rests an intact early settlers cabin and barn dating back to around 1847. What sets this apart from John Neely Bryan’s cabin or ones like it is that they are still on the actual site where they were built. While the cabin has been largely shored up and tented by the Dallas Parks Department, the barn has not. It is leaning and moved slightly with out recent rains. Both structures need attention sooner rather than later to preserve this enduring piece of our history that still survives from over 150 years ago.
 
6. 625 N. Ewing Ave.
PDF Print E-mail
 

George T. Reynolds was the President of the First National Bank of Albany, Texas when he began making frequent trips to Ft. Worth in the late 1800’s. He had interests in cattle and was president of Texas Presbyterian University. He later moved to Dallas in the early 1900’s where he went on to become a member of the Dallas Board of Education. It was then that he built his home on N. Ewing and Sabine.

Built in 1911, the home was Mission in style, ten rooms and built of brick. N. Ewing offered a prime location particularly after the completion of the Houston St. Viaduct in 1912 blocks away. At one time the area was lined with many such mansions. Some remain interspersed throughout the area. A few are in the Lake Cliff Historic District along Marsalis but a few, like this one, rest outside the district and away from its protection.

 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next > End >>
Page 1 of 5